Are you a university pupil and searching for an thrilling possibility to obtain fingers-on encounter outdoors of the lecture corridor? Right here is your possibility to fly your experiment on a sounding rocket or a stratospheric balloon with the REXUS/BEXUS programme!
The Contact for Proposals for fourteenth cycle of the Swedish-German REXUS/BEXUS programme is now open until the fourteenth of Oct 2020, 23:59 (CEST).
The REXUS/BEXUS Programme lets students from across ESA member states, Slovenia and Canada to apply for a exclusive possibility to fly their experiment to the edge of room on board a sounding rocket (REXUS) or a stratospheric balloon (BEXUS). Each individual calendar year about 20 teams take part in this thrilling programme.
Chosen teams will have the possibility to get section in the scientific and technical experience of acquiring an experiment, flying it and analysing their final results. By way of this fingers-on encounter, members will obtain useful know-how on each move of the layout of a room mission, from preliminary layout via to screening and start. Ultimately, they will be given the possibility to show up at an worldwide symposium and current their findings to the scientific local community. All through the course of action, members are supported with instruction and suggestions by company and marketplace experts and have the possibility to collaborate with pupil teams from a lot of other nations.
The REXUS sounding rocket and the BEXUS stratospheric balloon
REXUS is a solitary phase rocket propelled by an Improved Orion solid motor and can arrive at an altitude of up to ninety km. The rocket is able to have about forty five kg of payload and provides about three minutes of reduced gravity flight.
BEXUS is 12 000 m3 stratospheric balloon able to have a payload of forty-a hundred kg to a floating altitude of 20-30km. The flight length is commonly in between one and five several hours.
What is the timeline for assortment?
Apps are now open until fourteen Oct 2020, 23:59 (CEST).
At the time the Contact for Proposals is closed, the assortment course of action is designed of two measures:
- All proposals are reviewed for a preliminary assortment and the shortlisted teams are invited to current their venture at a Variety Workshop held at ESA-ESTEC from 24 to 27 November 2020.
- The assortment workshop is made up of lectures given by experts and displays of the proposed experiments by the teams. Immediately after the students’ displays, a panel of experts will check with thoughts and make reviews. The chosen teams will be knowledgeable shortly immediately after the Variety Workshop.
A instruction week is provided at the conclusion of January 2021, with the BEXUS balloon start prepared for Oct 2021 and the REXUS rocket start marketing campaign in March 2022.
A extra in depth timeline can be found here.
How to get commenced?
In order to prepare a constant proposal for this thrilling but demanding programme, stick to the under measures:
- Sort a workforce with at least 4 students from different applicable backgrounds who are eligible for sponsorship
- Take a look at the REXUS/BEXUS website to understand extra about the platforms and needs located in the consumer manuals
- Have a glimpse at the previous experiments classified by place of investigation such as: atmospheric measurements, microgravity investigations, know-how demonstrations for upcoming room missions, and even biological sciences
- Suggest an innovative and feasible experiment and justify the require of the platform (REXUS or BEXUS).
I am finding out in Germany – How really should I apply?
As the programme is partly funded by DLR (the German Aerospace Centre), there is a a little different application course of action for students finding out in Germany. Full specifics can be located on the REXUS/BEXUS webpage.
How is the programme funded?
The REXUS/BEXUS programme is realised under a bilateral Agency Settlement in between the German Aerospace Middle (DLR) and the Swedish Nationwide Space Agency (SNSA). The Swedish share of the payload has been designed readily available to students from other European nations via a collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA).
EuroLaunch, a cooperation in between the Esrange Space Middle of SSC and the Mobile Rocket Foundation (MORABA) of DLR, is dependable for the marketing campaign management and functions of the start vehicles. Gurus from DLR, SSC, ZARM, and ESA present technical and logistic assist to the pupil teams all through the venture. REXUS and BEXUS are launched from SSC, Esrange Space Middle in northern Sweden.