“Managing Issues or Protests About Content: Service, Safety, and Training for All Workers and Library Leaders”
Component of the Library 2. Sequence Offered by Barry Trott, MSLS, hosted by Dr. Steve Albrecht
How do we properly and diligently handle 1 or more angry or outraged patrons who complain about items (guides, movies, journals, CDs, and many others.) in our library?
This 60-moment teaching webinar is introduced by Library 2. and ALA creator and library support, security, and protection skilled, Dr. Steve Albrecht. Steve will be hosting Barry Trott, Grownup Services Marketing consultant with the Library of Virginia, to explore instruments and schooling that can help when you have grievances about library collections.
Barry states, “Book troubles are on the increase in all sorts of libraries. Currently being well prepared to handle queries about library components will require far more than the library director and other directors. Generally, complaints have to have to be very first taken care of by frontline staff members. To continue to keep these protests from expanding into a key media disaster, it is essential that public companies workers know how to take care of person issues. This problem involves a lot more than just passing the offended patrons up the chain of command. It is vital to have a very well-imagined-out procedure for workers to rely on. This webinar will assistance all library staff members feel far more empowered all through these encounters.”
This overview session is a further in our Library 2. series for all library staff and library leaders to reply with tact and ability when it arrives to grievances about what a single or extra patrons thinks is inappropriate written content in the library. This webinar will also talk about how to manage the safety challenges and media administration associated to an organized protest about most likely controversial resources, both equally in or around your library.
- Staying geared up right before the challenge will come not building coverage and treatments on the fly.
- Being aware of that challenges to materials will arrive from all sides, even unforeseen people today/teams.
- Building a set of methods on how patrons’ material complaints ought to carry on.
- Resolving the trouble at the cheapest level attainable. Generally frontline workers can avert a more substantial issue only by listening, but they will need to be experienced.
- Notifying the Library Director when a grievance is built, even if it seems that it was settled at the time it was manufactured. Not allowing your boss be stunned.
- Listening with empathy when a patron has a criticism. Not seeking to defend the item (it is not an educable minute) and not generating any absolute commitments till later on.
- Making use of “Request for Reconsideration” letters.
- Informing your Library Board and/or elected officials.
- Handling media interviews or info requests.
- Facility safety difficulties.
Date: Thursday, June 30, 2022, at 2:00 pm US – Eastern Time
- $99/person – incorporates any-time access to the recording and the presentation slides and acquiring a participation certification. To prepare group special discounts (see under), to submit a invest in get, or for any registration challenges or concerns, email [email protected].
- Free for individuals on personal or group all-entry passes (see under).
TO Sign up: Click HERE. You will to start with need to have to be a member of Library 2. (no cost) and be logged in. Make sure you click “Indicator Up” on the best appropriate and we are going to approve you speedily. You can spend by PayPal or credit history card, and will get fast and lasting access to the webinar recording. If you have any difficulties registering for a webinar, if you require to be invoiced, or if you have any issues, remember to email [email protected]. Notice: remember to examine your spam folder if you really don’t obtain your affirmation electronic mail proper away.
Unique Group RATES (electronic mail [email protected] to prepare):
- Several person log-ins and obtain from the identical business paid collectively: $75 each for 3+ registrations, $65 just about every for 5+ registrations.
- The potential to present the webinar (stay or recorded) to a group positioned in the exact bodily locale or in the very same digital assembly from 1 log-in: $299.
- Huge-scale institutional obtain for viewing with personal login capacity: $499 (hosted possibly at Library 2. or in Specialized niche Academy).
- All-entry annual passes involve obtain to the recordings of all of Dr. Albrecht’s past Library 2. webinars, in addition dwell and recorded entry to his new webinars for one calendar year. These are hosted both at Library 2. or Niche Academy (if most well-liked).
- For a $499 individual all-accessibility yearly go to all of Dr. Albrecht’s dwell webinars and recordings for a person yr, please simply click here.
- Inquiries for all-accessibility organizational contracts really should be directed to [email protected].
MSLS Grownup Providers Advisor
Library Development and Networking Division
Library of Virginia
“Porn and Patrons in the Library: What to Do About a Vexing Problem”
Component of the Library 2. Series with Dr. Steve Albrecht
Male patrons looking at pornographic movies or looking at shots–it could be a modest challenge in your library or it could be a large difficulty, but possibly way, it is a issue that requirements addressing. Let us converse about how you can address it, securely, discreetly, and lawfully.
This 60-moment training webinar is offered by Library 2. and hosted by ALA author and library company, basic safety, and safety skilled, Dr. Steve Albrecht.
- Why do gentlemen view porn in the library? (A major inquiry.)
- To filter or not to filter, that is the query.
- Porn on the patrons’ equipment compared to ours?
- Handling patron complaints.
- Maintaining minors away from porn exposures.
- How can our engineering aid us?
- The authentic dilemma of escalating sexual behavior for library porn watchers.
- Most effective methods for safe staff members interventions.
- When does porn observing develop into a law enforcement issue?
- Enable from your area ICAC task pressure.
Date: Thursday, July 15, 2022, at 2:00 pm US – Jap Time
- $99/person – consists of any-time entry to the recording and the presentation slides and acquiring a participation certification. To arrange team bargains (see down below), to submit a acquire buy, or for any registration issues or issues, email [email protected].
- Absolutely free for all those on unique or group all-obtain passes (see down below).
TO Register: Click HERE. You will 1st have to have to be a member of Library 2. (cost-free) and be logged in. Be sure to click on “Indicator Up” on the top correct and we’ll approve you swiftly. You can pay back by PayPal or credit history card, and will receive immediate and permanent obtain to the webinar recording. If you have any hassle registering for a webinar, if you want to be invoiced, or if you have any concerns, you should email [email protected]. Take note: make sure you check out your spam folder if you really don’t acquire your affirmation email ideal absent.
Exclusive Team RATES (email [email protected] to set up):
- Many specific log-ins and accessibility from the same corporation paid collectively: $75 just about every for 3+ registrations, $65 every single for 5+ registrations.
- The skill to present the webinar (dwell or recorded) to a group found in the exact actual physical area or in the identical virtual conference from a single log-in: $299.
- Huge-scale institutional obtain for viewing with unique login capacity: $499 (hosted both at Library 2. or in Area of interest Academy).
- All-access once-a-year passes include things like entry to the recordings of all of Dr. Albrecht’s past Library 2. webinars, in addition are living and recorded access to his new webinars for one particular year. These are hosted either at Library 2. or Niche Academy (if most well-liked).
- For a $499 specific all-obtain yearly go to all of Dr. Albrecht’s are living webinars and recordings for just one year, make sure you click on below.
- Inquiries for all-entry organizational contracts need to be directed to [email protected].
Since 2000, Dr. Steve Albrecht has skilled 1000’s of library staff members in 28+ states, live and on-line, in service, protection, stability, and supervision. His courses are quick, entertaining, and offer equipment that can be place to use quickly in the library workspace with all sorts of patrons. In 2015, the ALA posted his book, Library Protection: Improved Interaction, Safer Facilities. He is at this time creating the sequel, The Risk-free Library: Holding Consumers, Employees, and Collections Secure, for Rowman & Littlefield.
Steve retains a doctoral diploma in Business Administration (D.B.A.), an M.A. in Stability Management, a B.A. in English, and a B.S. in Psychology. He is board-certified in HR, protection management, worker coaching, and menace evaluation.
He has created 24 books on business, security, and leadership subject areas. He lives with six puppies, two cats, and a few chickens. (Not all in the same area, of course.)