As our country’s 2nd independence working day, Juneteenth marks the day in 1865 when Union troops arrived in Galveston Bay, Texas to announce that just about 300,000 enslaved black people today ended up free. This working day in historical past became identified as “Juneteenth” and is now regarded as a federal holiday break. What do you know about this vacation, and improved however, what know-how do your learners have on this topic? Down below we share 5 of our finest assets best for expanding your comprehension and making a strong basis for your pupils.
1. Find out about the background of Juneteenth with this interactive story from the Smithsonian National Museum of African American Background and Tradition:
Check out The Historical Legacy of Juneteenth
2. Implement digital techniques practice to reveal scholar discovering about this historic event:
Look at Lesson
3. Read books produced by Black authors:
4. Be a part of a synchronous session for educators on training the Black Liberty Wrestle hosted by the Zinn Training Challenge:
5. Show up at a regional celebration or festivity! Explore the in-man or woman alternatives in your geographical region to obtain with others and commemorate this significant occasion in our nation’s background.
Research “Juneteenth” + [your state] to obtain an party
For much more options to find out about our nation’s historical past and its legacy of racism, examine out the pursuing continuing instruction courses: